Championshowpigs
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Truegl10
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Lazyoa10
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Reunio10
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Southt10
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Topofo10
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Cainsiresstatic
Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Carter10

Facilities for the small-scale breeder??

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hrqrts

hrqrts

Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty
PostSubject: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty12th May 2010, 9:04 pm

Hi everyone, I work on a farrow-finish operation right now, but would like to eventually get into breeding show pigs on a small scale, but I don't want to have actual confinements. Just was wondering how most people house their sows and weaned pigs?? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
AndyClif

PostSubject: Small Scale Breeders   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty13th May 2010, 8:23 am

I live in Oklahoma and I house my sows in a drylot in electric fence. I have a piece of property with a bunch of trees and it stays about 15-20 degrees cooler in these trees in the heat of the summer, so it helps a bunch when I have heavy bred sows in July and August. I think in this state where there are a bunch of small scale showpig breeders with 1-20 sows, most of them keep their sows in some type of drylot or in Cargill units. I only know a hand full that keep them in confinement. I know lots of breeders in this state that will actually farrow sows in crates in the open air under a shade in the summer.
Back to top Go down
hrqrts

hrqrts

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty13th May 2010, 5:34 pm

Ok that helps. Do they respect the electric fence pretty well? What is a Cargill unit? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
g5farms

g5farms

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty13th May 2010, 5:50 pm

we have stalls that are about 8 x 15 feet . It seems to work really well for sows and litters . You could do pens that are half of that. We dont use electric fencing but the sows do respect that . We farrow all sows in the farrowing crates but have had a few catch us off gaurd and on the ground which is never an issue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g5farms.com
hrqrts

hrqrts

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty13th May 2010, 9:49 pm

ok, and what do you do for manure removal? Bedding? I've seen a lot of pics w/ pigs in pens w/ sawdust, do you clean the pens like horse stalls? Do the farrowing crates sit on the ground?
Back to top Go down
Andy Cli

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty14th May 2010, 11:21 pm

When I keep my sows in the electric fence, they will respect the hotwire very well, except in the case that you wean one and immediately put her back in the hot wire, she will bust out. I also reccomend using a good fence charger, I have a Gallagher and it costs more than some others, but it is worth every penny. I really don't worry about manure removal since the lots are large enough that manure is distributed over a large area it never really becomes an issue. I would recommend making a more permanent pen with gates and panels at one end or corner of the electic fenced lot. I usually feed mine here, because if you just put them in a total electric fenced pen, you will have hell getting them to leave the pen whether the wire is there or not! I just feed them in the panel pen, close the gate and I can sort them, or move them wherever I need to without a huge hassle. As far as bedding goes, I have good sheds and only provide bedding for them when it is cold. They do fine the rest of the year. I always use straw or grass hay. The grass hay actually works better and is much more effective in my opinion than the straw. Woodchips for sows would be way too expensive in my opinion. It would definately become cost prohibitive very quickly, I would save the woodchips for your pigs when you are trying to sell them. Woodchips dont have much insulation value, they are expensive, but they are clean and make baby pigs look good! Jsut my opinion though
Back to top Go down
Andy Cli

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty14th May 2010, 11:24 pm

Oh yeah, a cargill unit is just a lean to shed with long narrow runs running out the front of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Facilities for the small-scale breeder??   Facilities for the small-scale breeder?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Facilities for the small-scale breeder??
Page 1 of 1