Championshowpigs
How much Moorfat to use? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
How much Moorfat to use? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
How much Moorfat to use? Truegl10
How much Moorfat to use? Lazyoa10
How much Moorfat to use? Reunio10
How much Moorfat to use? Southt10
How much Moorfat to use? Topofo10
How much Moorfat to use? Cainsiresstatic
How much Moorfat to use? Carter10

How much Moorfat to use?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jaydee4d

How much Moorfat to use? Empty
PostSubject: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty23rd January 2012, 1:39 pm

I have picky pig, not eating good, been giving moorfat for four days.... She liked it at first now stopped eating... Am I giving too much? not enough? How do I measure it out? I use the moormans measuring cup and give a half of that each feeding morning and night... Please help!! Trying to make weight!
Back to top Go down
Droptinegw1

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty23rd January 2012, 8:50 pm

You have to be careful with even the slightest changes of feed with show hogs. (ex. Swaping brand names, protien percentages, any additives, adding fat) Always keep in mind that all these feeds were feeding these days are pretty hot. Even the 14% feeds are still pretty hot. So with that in mind anytime you make a change in feed make the transition slow. If you start moorfat start off by just trickling a little bit in there feed then slowly build up to the desired amount. Same thing when you switch feeds or protien levels. Say you switch from a 18% to a 16% start off mixing them 90/10 then slowly mix more and more until you made the transition. We sometimes take up to a week or two swapping different feeds. It's hard to say without knowing your pig but it sounds like you may have maybe burned here gut up a little. Maybe Cut back on the fat for a few days to let here stomach calm down then slowly build your way back up. It's hard to say how much to give your pig cause it totally depends 1. How much your pig can take 2. How much fat your pig needs. If you need to soften your pig up I would definately start wet feeding. You'll be surprised how soft you pig will get by just wet feeding. If here gut is messes up maybe try some Pro-bias or maybe some black dirt you have in the back yard. Always remember any change in feed or anything you add to there feed, make your transition slow. Think of it as someone who is a vegetarian who goes out and orders em a big ole greasy hamburger. There gonna feel a little sick. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
jaydee4d

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty25th January 2012, 10:57 am

Thank you!!! We have started hand feeding her.... I just do not think she is eating enough. She weighed 159 on Monday and yesterday she ate maybe 3lbs... Do you have any idea for the weight that she is... how much she should actually be eating?

Thank you
Back to top Go down
jaydee4d

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty25th January 2012, 10:59 am

I also have cut back on teh moorfat... and I am going to slowly reintroduce it...I also wetted one on e her feedings to see how she liked it... Is it bad to give her a feeding that is dry and that evening give her onw that is wet
Back to top Go down
Droptinegw1

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty25th January 2012, 4:28 pm

Well first I'll start off by saying that it's very common for some pigs especially gilts to be picky eaters. Barrows always seem to me to be easier to feed. It can really be a pain and a battle that I even seem to deal with with a pig or two every year! Lol so I feel your pain. It won't hurt nothing for you to give here one wet and one dry feeding. The trick is is to seeing what she likes. Definatley need to be hand feeding atleast twice a day. If she's been on full feed for too long she won't be used to a certian feeding time therefore not eating everything you give her. So there will be a little adjusting she will have to do. I like my pigs cleaning up everything I give em so I start to kinda train em early. It's kinda hard to help you over the computer her but before I give it a shot here I need to know a few things so I can make a few suggestions that might help. When Is your checkin for your show? What's the bottom end of your weight you have to make to make the show? What brand of feed are you feeding and what's the protien % the fat % and the lysine content. And what do you think you need on your pig? (ex. More muscle, more cover.....etc) has she been on full feed up till this point? Do you get her out and walk her around? When was she born if you know?
Back to top Go down
jaydee4d

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty26th January 2012, 9:56 am

She was born the 2nd week of September.... We have feed her Moormans full feed since the beginning, we had two pigs together and about two weeks ago we seperated them .... We are currently on Moormans 18007 which is 18% protein and 7% fat... I am thinking she need more width... She will need to be a lightweight pig, anyhow... she has good body proportion but not enough middle... We let her out of the pen daily, just to stretch.... I try to not walk her too much, because I am scared I will been too much fat off... so she gets walked only 15 minutes every couple days.... We check in 2-29 and she need to be at LEAST 225..... I would like to top out in that weight class... usually 235, but calculating her ADG she is looking at leaving the house at 228... Too close for me!! Any ideas.. I would appreciate it!!!!
Back to top Go down
jaydee4d

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty26th January 2012, 10:00 am

I did wet her feed at lunch and she finished 2lbs and she finished 2lbs yesterday evening.... This morning she also finished 2 1/2 pounds..... Maybe she is getting used to the hand feeding.... Hope SO!!! We will weigh again Monday
Back to top Go down
Droptinegw1

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty26th January 2012, 7:27 pm

Well if she keeps eating you have a decent shot at makin weight. I just roughed a quick calculation but from Monday when you weighed you need to gain somewhere around 12 pounds a week. Idealy I think you need to look at next year getting a pig a few weeks older for your show. Your pig will be around roughly 5 1/2 months old, I typically for this day in age like to have one around 6 to maybe 7 months on the high end. I like to take things in steps on developing a pig and making a hard push in the end. I'm thinkin why it sounds like is that your gonna have to take all the steps here at the end and try to put it all together. I will give you an idea of what to try and feed to maybe bring it all together but keep in mind that i have not seen your pig and dont know its habits or traits or really even what it looks like shape wise so only feed all this if it seems right to you. Today is exactly 35 days for you to check in, and your sayin it needs a little mor with Im guessing across the top? I would go tomorrow an get a bucket of paylean. For me it typically takes anywhere from 35 to 45 days for it to really make a big difference on pigs that really need muscle. Plus she will gain more weight on it which is what your lookin for. Start her of with just a couple oz then build it up over a few days. Maybe to 8-12 oz but keep an eye on her that she don't get to tight or get structure problems. Keep on with the wet feeding and your fat. If she cleans up all of her feed bump her up maybe a 1/4 pound. The trick is is that you want her cleaning up everything you give her. Try not to leave a bunch of feed in front of her. A little is ok cause she might finish it off over night or during the day. You just don't want everytime you go feed age has a pan full of feed still. I would stay on the 18% your on. The lysine content is like 1.05 in that if I remember right which should help her grow. But definatly get the paylean I would say. Remember I havent seen your pigs so I'm Tryin to help out blind. So use your own judgment as well. Hope this helped.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How much Moorfat to use?   How much Moorfat to use? Empty

Back to top Go down

How much Moorfat to use?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Championshowpigs :: Championshowpigs Bulletin :: Feeding Swine-
Jump to: