Championshowpigs
A little cunfused Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
A little cunfused Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
A little cunfused Truegl10
A little cunfused Lazyoa10
A little cunfused Reunio10
A little cunfused Southt10
A little cunfused Topofo10
A little cunfused Cainsiresstatic
A little cunfused Carter10

A little cunfused

Go down 
+3
west-texas-pigdad
Jay Aguilar
4hmom
7 posters
AuthorMessage
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty26th January 2011, 11:11 am

I have been reading post on different things to feed at different times while raising a pig.
We are feeding Honor Show Chow. We started off with the grower (i think T100 is what it was), and since our hog was 150 lbs. we were told to change to the SHow Chow Finisher (L200), because it is less protein and more fat. Now, I am reading about Honor Powerfill to put weight on, but it says it has 24% or better protein, but 12% fat. Are we being miss informed? Are we feeding the wrong feed at the wrong times? Question

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but I am really So cunfused!!
Back to top Go down
Jay Aguilar

Jay Aguilar

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty26th January 2011, 2:15 pm

Mom, it's an option if you want to bring the protein % down, cause i use the T100 all the way thru the end of the show year and i also give them the Champion Drive, Power Fuel, and the Power Fill just depending on the animal if you want to bring her % down. I brought the % down to the L200 one of my Market barrows because he was at 180 lbs In January and our limit is 280 in March.

What i can advise you to do if you want its just a option is just decrease the amount of feed intake that your giving the hog, and keep her on the same % your giving it just keep in mind that you dont want it TO be too Over Muscled or Tight in their walk.
I hope this gives you a idea and helps you understand a bit .
Back to top Go down
http://www.aguilarshowpigs.com
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty26th January 2011, 2:51 pm

Well, that is the problem...weight. We have a great hog, but have had the worst time with getting her to gain. We are 35 days till show and she is only 195, and the breeder said with her frame she should weigh no less the 260-265 at show and she only put on 20 lbs. in 14 days!! I did try the cake mix this morning and she ate it up. I also have started her on Golden Flo by WHitfields (for the first time) to maybe help put on some pounds.

What do you think our chances are? We have never had a under weight problem before!!

I just did not want to do the same thing next year, if we were given the wrong advice.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Jay Aguilar

Jay Aguilar

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty26th January 2011, 2:57 pm

whats your min. weight?
Back to top Go down
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty27th January 2011, 9:15 am

Jay Aguilar wrote:
whats your min. weight?

190 lbs., but being a longer york cross she needs more weight.
Back to top Go down
west-texas-pigdad

west-texas-pigdad

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty28th January 2011, 7:37 pm

Well the way I look at it is every pig is different and just cause the breeder said she should weigh around 265 dosent mean she is going to at our county we showed against 2 litter mates to our pigs and they were not close on weighing the same. What other feeds do you have avalible were you live. How much are you feeding a day.
Back to top Go down
jgarcia

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty30th January 2011, 12:05 am

There are several things to consider, the instructions are just the recommended route to take "for the average pig". However, like mentions before all the pigs are different and not all hogs are born on the same day, have the same genetics, or eat the same for anyone to tell you this is the one and only way to do this. First, start with genetics then how much weight and time you have to work with and then you try to guide him as to what the judge that will be judging that particular show is known to like. Like they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are charts out there that have the weight of gain, amount of days, lbs fed, and protein levels. Honor has one that you can print out. The main things to consider are protein, lysine, fat, calcium, and sodium levels. Remember protein promotes muscle growth and burns fat in the process (too much protein can hurt your goal), lysine and sodium promote growth, and calcium keeps good healthy bones. Anything else is a plus.
Back to top Go down
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty31st January 2011, 8:46 am

west-texas-pigdad wrote:
Well the way I look at it is every pig is different and just cause the breeder said she should weigh around 265 dosent mean she is going to at our county we showed against 2 litter mates to our pigs and they were not close on weighing the same. What other feeds do you have avalible were you live. How much are you feeding a day.

We feed 5 lbs. a day, but they are wasting around a pound. Now, I got a few hints from a few people on here and we weighed Saturday and they and they went from gaining 1.42 lbs. per day to 2 lbs. per day. So, if they can keep that up, I would be satisfied.
Back to top Go down
Jay Aguilar

Jay Aguilar

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty31st January 2011, 9:08 am

good to hear they have increased there weight gain if it keeps gaining that you'll be averaging 250lbs to your show date so sounds like you have accomplish your goal, Keep up the hard work Mom..
Back to top Go down
pigglet

pigglet

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty2nd February 2011, 2:27 pm

4H Mom,
i know how you feel i was like this last year and was Super Lost and thank God for this Website i have been able to pull thru? when ever i have a doubt i know where to look at, there are lots of helpful people in this website..Take my advice if you dount know it dont be afraid to ask and in this site you'll get your answer quick plus more ?
Back to top Go down
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty2nd February 2011, 3:47 pm

I agree pigglet, I have received so much information on here in such a short time. I am so glad I found it!! Such great people, with such great advice!!!
Back to top Go down
west-texas-pigdad

west-texas-pigdad

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty3rd February 2011, 11:16 am

I'm glad to here that the pig has increased it's feed intake and I know oh so well about the feed 5 lbs and the pigs wasteing some of it I get so frustrated just wish I could get it though to them that what they are eating isn't cheap. I need to becom a pig wisper and then I could make alot of money by comeing to see all you other pig farmers kinda like the dog wisper lol
Back to top Go down
4hmom

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty4th February 2011, 4:52 pm

So we weighed this AM before feed and they are bothe back down to a 1.5 per day. They did so good last week and gained 2 a day, but I have noticed them slowing down and leaving more feed Crying or Very sad
Would it hurt to not feed tonight, and wait till morning?
Back to top Go down
aggie187698

aggie187698

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty5th February 2011, 7:42 pm

So other things you need to think about. Change in weather can effect weight gain. In my opinion one thing that is taken for granted is worming. We will alter Nate we worm with safeguard one month then ivomec the next. Good luck to you
Back to top Go down
http://www.southwesternfarms.com
trivswine

trivswine

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty6th February 2011, 8:15 am

The weather can be a big factor. It was terrible this past week, and the next several day are not going to be much better. It looks like we will not have to deal with the ice. Pigs will burn alot of energy trying to stay warm. They will also not want to eat as much at time because of the fact of having to get up. I like to try to keep them as warm as possable, keeping the wind off of them and using heat lamps which helps some. What would really help would be some warmer weather!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A little cunfused Empty
PostSubject: Re: A little cunfused   A little cunfused Empty

Back to top Go down

A little cunfused
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Championshowpigs :: Championshowpigs Bulletin :: Feeding Swine-
Jump to: