Championshowpigs
Duroc gilt not eating! Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Duroc gilt not eating! Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Duroc gilt not eating! Truegl10
Duroc gilt not eating! Lazyoa10
Duroc gilt not eating! Reunio10
Duroc gilt not eating! Southt10
Duroc gilt not eating! Topofo10
Duroc gilt not eating! Cainsiresstatic
Duroc gilt not eating! Carter10

Duroc gilt not eating!

Go down 
+3
New2pigs
west-texas-pigdad
peppyskydancer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
peppyskydancer

peppyskydancer

Duroc gilt not eating! Empty
PostSubject: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty24th January 2011, 8:17 pm

I am still having trouble getting her to eat! she is eating 4 lbs of moormans 1 lbs of depth charge and day and that is it. our county show is march 1st. i thought when i put her on paylean she would start eating more nope not her!! grrrrr i really need to start pushing her and getting her going and i dont know what to do with her. she look full but that could also be because the depth charge. there is a smaller gilt penned with her as well that really dont eat all the much either. i am hand feeeding both and there is always some feed left in there feeders. PLEASE HELP
Back to top Go down
http://www.flyingngenetics.webs.com
west-texas-pigdad

west-texas-pigdad

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 8:54 am

Skip a feeding take all feed away for one feeding cause it will make the oig hungry to eat and eat it all then when you go to feed her use cake mix to mix with feed and to sprinkle some on the top
Back to top Go down
peppyskydancer

peppyskydancer

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 9:42 am

yup i have tried that as well. I have tried cake mix and milk replacer. Somebody suggested a b12 shot
Back to top Go down
west-texas-pigdad

west-texas-pigdad

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 11:11 am

I would try Dyne you canget it at your local tractor supply for feed store should be able.
Back to top Go down
New2pigs

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 1:46 pm

When was the last worming and what did you use?

Are you using pellets or lose grains?

What have your temps been looking like?
Back to top Go down
trivswine

trivswine

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 7:21 pm

The first thing you need to do is quit using the depth charge. It is a filler that expands alot in the stomach, which will cut down on feed intake. If you want to give it more gut wait till you are about 30 days out to use it. Paylean does not usually increase feed intake, but what it does do is increase the feed efficiency. I use the B complex, and give them 3cc twice a week in the mouth. It is a water soluable vitamin that breaks down rapidly, therefore there is no need into using it as a shot. You had also that you tried using cake mix. try again using a different flavor, this may also help.
Back to top Go down
peppyskydancer

peppyskydancer

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty25th January 2011, 7:33 pm

She wasnt eating that good when i started her on the depther charge to begin with. I am just about 35 days less from out show. this gilt just has never ever eat much. Her temp stays anywhere from 100-100.5. this gilt only gets 8 oz twice a day of the delth charge which isnt alot. i have feed more beet pulp to other pigs than that that still ate more feed.I have a cross gilt that is eating 10 lbs a day total and 1 1/2 lbs of that is depth charge and she still acts hungry. I worm every 30 days. last time i wormed was 2 weeks ago with ivermec and then 30 days before that was atguard. she is september 12 th when she was born. My august pigs i usually never have any of them that dont eat. this is the second september pig i have baught and it dont eat any better than the last one lol. i baught from 2 diffrent breeders. this duroc gilt came from a guy i baught my yorks from and my yorks are by no means picky eaters.
Back to top Go down
New2pigs

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty26th January 2011, 2:09 pm

Well with our son's 3 sets of pigs, different breeds consume different amounts. The pickest set is the 3/4 red wattle. What we've learn, even when you have litter mates you still can't compair them to each other, in weight gainning, because you are setting your self up for heartbreak.

Whether right or wrong, when our son's herefords went off their feed, I drove to Tylertown, MS, co-op and got a sack of their all stock feed and mixed with their hog pellets and it hasn't been a prblem since....unless the weather is extreme like we've been having latey...we go from freezen to summer time weather, down here.
Back to top Go down
peppyskydancer

peppyskydancer

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty29th January 2011, 10:12 pm

Here is my Duroc gilt she weighted today at 181

Back to top Go down
New2pigs

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty31st January 2011, 10:29 am

Do you have a rear pic to share too?

Son and I love looking at other's projects.
Back to top Go down
peppyskydancer

peppyskydancer

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty31st January 2011, 10:58 am

Oh no i dont lol. she was rather hard just getting these 2 good ones. anod now it is fixing to start snowin so it will be awhile before i get anymore
Back to top Go down
Hicktown_Genetics

Hicktown_Genetics

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty1st February 2011, 2:48 pm

It might sound crazy but we slop with beer, go to the store and buy the cheapest beer and slop that with whatever feed or mix u are using, also we've mixed it up one night then close the lid on it and feed it to em' that way, it stanks but they devoour it...
Back to top Go down
west-texas-pigdad

west-texas-pigdad

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty3rd February 2011, 11:50 am

Hicktown_Genetics wrote:
It might sound crazy but we slop with beer, go to the store and buy the cheapest beer and slop that with whatever feed or mix u are using, also we've mixed it up one night then close the lid on it and feed it to em' that way, it stanks but they devoour it...

That is old school but should work just hope your pig isn't a picky drinker lol.
Back to top Go down
johnny5

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty3rd February 2011, 12:12 pm

you can try to use corn oil. cause i think the beer thing is to hard to waste the beer on the pig.lol.
Back to top Go down
aggie187698

aggie187698

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty5th February 2011, 7:52 pm

I know this sounds crazy but sprinkle some cat food on top of her feed. Some pigs just need a change in the texture and taste of there feed. I have also had to change there feed just keep trying
Back to top Go down
http://www.southwesternfarms.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duroc gilt not eating!   Duroc gilt not eating! Empty

Back to top Go down

Duroc gilt not eating!
Page 1 of 1