Championshowpigs
What are the secrets to winning? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
What are the secrets to winning? Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
What are the secrets to winning? Truegl10
What are the secrets to winning? Lazyoa10
What are the secrets to winning? Reunio10
What are the secrets to winning? Southt10
What are the secrets to winning? Topofo10
What are the secrets to winning? Cainsiresstatic
What are the secrets to winning? Carter10

What are the secrets to winning?

Go down 
+8
longshot
des
bigbach
New2pigs
trivswine
Jay Aguilar
g5farms
lauxkm
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lauxkm

What are the secrets to winning? Empty
PostSubject: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st August 2010, 12:53 pm

I really want my kids to do well they usually walk in the show ring and go to last place. What should i be doing to win?
Back to top Go down
g5farms

g5farms

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st August 2010, 1:06 pm

There really is no secret to winning and a $5,000 show pig does not always beat a $100 show pig, so dont be fooled by the big prices. The issue here might be that you are just looking at a pig and thinking it is just a pig. There is actually a bit of technique and know-how for picking. Each judge will pick different animals but for the most part they all look for the same thing. The people that do well, do well because they have understood the how a pigs structure and fluidity make champions.

We have had a lot of success but when we sit in a show, we are sitting and watching but also studying and trying to predict the winners and the reasons why they are winners. If you are off all the time, then you need to tweak what you are doing.

Structure: Make sure that your pig is structurally opened up. Chest floor straight through the hips is wide.

Bone Size: Look for a pig with above average bone size and big feet

Width: The pig should not only be wide, but also have some muscle

Cover: Now-a-days your pig needs some fat cover, but not too much

Walking: Your pig should resemble a cat as much as possible. No kicking on either end

Feeding program****: The most important aspect. Fresh feed and enough feed to help the showpig put on atleast 1 - 2 pounds per day is importand and knowing the exact times to supplement a pig without ruining the animal is key
Guys let me know if I left out anything. Hope this helps
Back to top Go down
http://www.g5farms.com
Jay Aguilar

Jay Aguilar

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st August 2010, 3:45 pm

think you said it all perfect G5.. well i would like to say hard work and dedication to our project remember hard work pays off in the long run so keep your heads up and have faith in your self and your project
Back to top Go down
http://www.aguilarshowpigs.com
trivswine

trivswine

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st August 2010, 3:49 pm

The only thing I would add to what G5 said is #1 GENETICS, GENETICS, GENETICS. This will takwe care of alot of problems such as structure, bone, width, and some cover. 2nd would be a good feeding program, with alot of good fresh water. Always worm every 30 days while rotating ivomec and safegaurd. Exercise will go along way with stamina and control. There are alot of people out there including myself that will help anyway we can. Don't be afraid to ask anything. The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.
Back to top Go down
New2pigs

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty2nd August 2010, 1:58 pm

But it also depends on the region that you are in.

Down here if it ain't a york or cross with a york then good luck. I've found that hog judges are like cattle judges "some are color and breed blind."
Back to top Go down
bigbach

bigbach

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty30th April 2011, 10:28 pm

Hey all how do you suggest excersizing? and do you put your feed up on blocks?
Back to top Go down
des

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st May 2011, 10:02 am

Bigbach, we start walking our pigs when they are around 100 pounds. We start them out in a pen out in the open to walk them, this way if and when they start running and putting on a rodeo show they don't have that far to go. At first we just try to get the pig use to a whip and the kid that's gonna be showing it. Then after a week it two of them getting use to things, the kids actually make the pigs go where they want them to. After the pigs and kids are comfortable with each other, they practice walking them in the yard.
Back to top Go down
longshot

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty1st May 2011, 2:26 pm

I keep hearing genetics when selecting show pigs. Does not all pigs out of the same litter have the same genetics? But they are not all equal in quality. So you still have to be able to select a quality pig. To shorten the time it take to learn find someone close to where you live that you trust & ask for thier help.When you find this person it could be a Ag teacher,4-h leader, breeder or feed store owener & then you will have to follow his plan help from more than one person will not work. We drive 70 miles to buy feed because of the feed store owner help. Once a month we haul our pigs for him to see & carry pictures everytime.We only show at a county show but we have had some success at this level.
Back to top Go down
aggie187698

aggie187698

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty2nd May 2011, 12:39 pm

Look at the breeders success. But dont be scared to look at new breeders. There names may not be as popular in the show barn but they are working hard to get there hogs in the drive also,

Back to top Go down
http://www.southwesternfarms.com
Berling Farms

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty8th May 2011, 8:47 pm

Secrets wouldn't be called secrets if everyone knew them Laughing . Just kidding. All of the above is pretty much dead on. The best thing in my opinion is to go to shows and see whats winning, and find the style you like and buy em that way.

Cody
Back to top Go down
ranchitoaranda

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty14th October 2011, 7:08 pm

My name is Sam Saldana,Im 13yrs old and I have done a hog project for the last three years My Step brother and sister 11&9 are just starting out.We have had to learn alot about showing hogs from start to finish.I would like to know if someone has a complete system from start to show day (feeding,supplements,washing,exercising and showing) we will be using moore mans feeds. I did invest on a purchase on a warfare(fischer) and a (rice rocket small town genetics) gilt what blood strain of boar crosses best on Warfare and Rice Rocket gilts?I m looking also for oct. farrowed showpigs for a Mid April 2012 for myself and my younger brother and sister.Any help would be appreciated

thanks,

Sam
Back to top Go down
kolbyburt

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty8th February 2012, 8:40 am

thanks so much for all your help, we have a county jackpot show next Saturday, to get us in shape for our main expo at the end of April. I am a little concerned we chose a Landrace Barrow he has good structure, but we are afraid he won't do good because everybody has either Berkshires, Poland china, or York crosses. I am afraid the judges might be bred or color blind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are the secrets to winning?   What are the secrets to winning? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are the secrets to winning?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Championshowpigs :: Championshowpigs Bulletin :: Feeding Swine-
Jump to: