Championshowpigs
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Csswhi10
IT ONLY TAKES 30 SECONDS TO REGISTER FOR FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF OUR THOUSANDS OF UNIQUE VISITORS
Championshowpigs
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum  homehome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Advertising  Log inLog in  HomeHome  
If you have not been to our forum , we have plenty of more advertisements and many new topics .
Make sure to upload your pictures on the Championshowpigs Gallery and create your own personal album
Welcome to Champion Show Pigs
Make sure to contact us to get a free link to your website.
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Truegl10
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Lazyoa10
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Reunio10
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Southt10
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Topofo10
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Cainsiresstatic
help gilt scared of her own pigs! Carter10

help gilt scared of her own pigs!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
got2bpigs

got2bpigs

help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty
PostSubject: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty20th February 2010, 8:14 pm

bought an awesome looking york gilt she farrowed and she is so scared of her own pigs she bites and mauls them. She has a ton of milk but the pigs cant nurse. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
g5farms

g5farms

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty20th February 2010, 8:21 pm

Dont panic, give the pig a chance. She is just nervous , if you still have some after birth , rub it on the pig and let the pig smell them . This has happened to us before . If not , just let her calm down and she will settle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.g5farms.com
got2bpigs

got2bpigs

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty20th February 2010, 9:32 pm

She started to farrow last nite we stayed with her till about 3:30 4:00 am she delivered one big boar pig dead and it still had afterbirth on it showed that to her but she bit at it and kept attacking it. She had another pig sometime after we left farrowing house and when we returned she had it bruised and cut badly. She will let me rub her belly and has plenty of milk but if the pig gets near her face or makes any noise she flips out. She only has 1 pig left. Fostering on another sow when not out there. She is such a nice looking york gilt (night tripp X hotshot) would you keep this gilt and try to breed again or cull her out?
Back to top Go down
Salis Showpigs

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty24th February 2010, 1:39 pm

We have only seen this once at our place, and the gilt settled down and was ok. However from everything I ve read its a genetic thing. The call it savaging. Everyone I ve talked to about it says to get rid of the gilt and don't keep any gilts to use for replacement. Just my take on it.
Back to top Go down
got2bpigs

got2bpigs

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty24th February 2010, 7:38 pm

thanks for the advice. Unfortunately we just culled out our last kodiak foundation york sow right before this york gilt farrowed, the gilt was to be our replacement line. she looks awesome and we thought that maybe we pampered her a little too much she had her own pen and did not have to be in the sow pen (Pampered Princess Pig Status) But would not want to see this poor mothering ability passed along. Best cut our losses early. On the bright side at least the sow price is up in our area lol
Back to top Go down
ohio_boy

PostSubject: gilt   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty24th February 2010, 10:48 pm

hey let me try her. i;ll breed her to our ironman boar .i;ll give u a gilt out of her if she dont eat em
Back to top Go down
bsisters

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty26th February 2010, 4:25 pm

How are you feeding them right after they have farrowed? The reason I ask is because we learned the hard way and gave our gilt too much food right after farrow and she produced so much milk she got masitis and therefore did not want to nurse for 2 days until pen, dex, and banimine did the trick. She was not biting them but would just stand up everytime they tried to nurse. Some pigs won't even eat for a couple days anyways but ours sure did. Go slow and gradually build them up to full free feed by day 5 or 6 if you aren't doing this already.
Back to top Go down
got2bpigs

got2bpigs

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty26th February 2010, 10:02 pm

Hi Ohio Boy! What is the pedigree on your Iron Man Boar? How many boars do you have? Do you have any breeding gilts or sows?
Back to top Go down
got2bpigs

got2bpigs

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty26th February 2010, 10:19 pm

Bsisters, Thanks for the advice. This gilt would nurse the pigs as long as they didnt make any noise or walk up to her face. She had ample milk and her udder was soft and full but not to tight or hard. She was so scared of her own pigs that she would try to defend herself by biting at them. But I do know that we have had a few sows get real hard udders and not let the piglets nurse long enough. So i will try what you suggest on those. we usually give 7 pounds of feed to start.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help gilt scared of her own pigs!   help gilt scared of her own pigs! Empty

Back to top Go down

help gilt scared of her own pigs!
Page 1 of 1